Thursday, July 15, 2010

0 comments Hey! It's a Filler Post!

I've been at the beach and I am super-duper-awesomely busy today so I don't have the time to post something like I usually do. I was away from the Internet for nearly a full week and survived. I want to do a quick recap of some of the things that happened while I was gone.

1. LeBron James chose Miami as the place where he will fail to win a championship for the foreseeable future. I am kidding of course. I can see the Heat winning one championship and then it falling apart because I don't care what LeBron and Wade say, they will both want to be "the man" in Miami. I don't care how good of friends they are. For me, it is like two great friends in college deciding to room together in their sophomore year. Sure, it sounds good on paper and it will be really fun in theory, but at the core of it they just can't get along being around each other that much and the odds of them hating each other are high. It's probably better Wade and James don't try to room together and stay friends on different teams.

So put me down for one championship for the Heat, though I have to admit the supporting cast around Wade, Bosh, and James could get me to stretch it to two championships. For some reason, I just don't have a good feeling about this move for LeBron. I don't have a problem with him "chasing" a championship, but I just don't think Miami with Wade is the place to do it. I don't give a shit what Tim Legler says, there isn't enough basketballs for five years of Wade and James playing together unless one player changes how he wants to be seen by the rest of the NBA and changes from wanting to be the #1 option on the team. This arrangement could work short-term, but I am not sure how it will go over a five year period.

2. I had no problem with Dan Gilbert being bitter and don't think he should have been fined by David Stern. It is just sour grapes and if he wants the chance to be bitter towards LeBron then I don't think he should not have to pay extra money in a fine to be bitter. I can see how Cleveland would be upset with LeBron and I REALLY want to know what Gilbert was talking about when he said people have been covering for LeBron for a while now. I wonder if this statement has actual teeth and isn't just the bitter ramblings of a guy who feels right spurned?

3. The All-Star Game got low ratings. It is not a shock and the ratings didn't decrease because Strasburg wasn't involved. I didn't watch much of the game and I am a huge baseball fan. It just doesn't appeal to me. Honestly, in a 162 game season I need a break for a few days from baseball and the All-Star break does that. MLB should move the game to until after the season is over and realize the game doesn't have the draw it used to. Fans used to not be able to see these players play, but with constant highlights and satellite television this isn't true anymore.

4. The Home Run Derby still sucks. I just can't watch it. It's Chris Berman rambling and ESPN pimping out "The Other Guys" with Will Farrell. When Will Farrell can't make an event more exciting then you know the event sucks. The derby is too long and the hitters take too many pitches. If they can choose the person pitching to them, they should have to swing at the pitches thrown.

5. Quick NBA free agent recap:

Charlotte: Sent Tyson Chandler and a benchwarmer to Dallas for Erick Dampier’s expiring contract and two Krispy Kreme donuts.

Charlotte is dumping money and wondering why no one in North Carolina gives a shit about the team. For Dallas, this along with re-signing Brendan Haywood, was a good move. As for Charlotte, with no draft picks this year I don't know how much they will improve for this upcoming year. Good trade for Dallas.

Toronto: Acquired Leandro Barbosa and backup center Dwayne Jones from Phoenix for Hedo Turkoglu.

I like this trade for both teams actually. Hedo is a better fit for the Suns and with the breakout of Dragic it seemed like Barbosa was expendable.

Phoenix: Got Turkoglu plus traded for Josh Childress

Another great move by Phoenix. The Suns are turning into a deep team with the signing of Hakeem Warrick and the trade of Josh Childress. This team could very well win the Western Conference this upcoming year, I think they look that strong right now. Kudos to the Suns for taking advantage of Steve Nash still performing at a high level by surrounding him with good players.

Portland: Wes Matthews is theirs.

I don't get this move. They draft Elliott Williams and then sign Wes Matthews? Obviously Williams is going to the bench, but how much playing time will Matthews as a backup on a team that has a deep bench?

Utah: In addition to the Al Jefferson steal, the Jazz signed coveted SG Raja Bell.

Great move by the Jazz to give up essentially nothing (other than draft picks) to get Al Jefferson after Carlos Boozer left and then they sign a great defensive shooting guard to replace Wes Matthews. At the very worst, the Jazz have evened it out this year, and at the best they have become a better team and a better matchup for the Lakers.

The Timberwolves...(Bengoodfella just shakes his head) I don't want to sound like Bill Simmons but I don't get what is happening up there and David Khan is either a mad genius or incompetent.

Denver: Picked up Al Harrington for 5 years, $34 million.

I'm torn on Harrington. I think he is a good piece of the puzzle for the Nuggets, but he is a guy who likes to shoot and he will be making $7 million at the age of 35 for the Nuggets. It's not like it was a bad contract, but I think in 1-2 years the Nuggets will be looking to move Harrington to a different team because he isn't a difference maker for this team.

6. Why is Brett Favre pretending he still doesn't know if he is returning? Shut up. Is there really anyone who thinks he isn't coming back this year? He needs to go back to Mississippi and throw the football with high schoolers and admit he is trying to skip training camp.

Go read the JoeChat below if you haven't done so yet.

0 comments: