Wednesday, August 18, 2010

2 comments AFC North and AFC East Preview

I made my podcast debut the with Dylan Murphy from "Pardon the Opinion," which is a great blog I have linked to the right on the screen. We did an AFC Preview and like anything else I am involved with, it was way too long and extensive, so we had to split it up into two podcasts for the AFC. Dylan has posted the AFC North and AFC East preview here. You can click the link and hear the discussion, along with predictions from each us of us (with bonus explanations!), for the upcoming NFL season. Also, feel free to make fun of me, I don't mind.

Of course, because I mock bad journalism I have to give a few words making fun of myself on the podcast.

1. I may have used this joke on the podcast but my voice makes Bill Simmons sound like Barry White. I hate my voice and I think most people do hate their own voice. I needed Auto-Tune to make myself sound better.

2. You can actually hear the gnashing of teeth when I was asked about the Patriots prospects this year. I had no idea what to think about the Patriots. When asked about the Patriots for this year, I act like Dylan had asked me to do a quadratic equation and then told me my pet goldfish died. I sound sad to even give my opinion on the Patriots.

3. I talk about how I consider the Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl favorites...and then proceed to mention how I think they can be beaten by another AFC team in the playoffs.

4. I blanked on Trent Edwards' name. Actually, I blanked a lot...I apparently love dramatic pauses.

5. God, I hate my voice on this podcast. I will never make fun of Bill Simmons' voice again...if I ever have before.

Thanks to Dylan for having me on and I hope you guys enjoy it. We are doing the NFC Preview next week. The AFC West and AFC South preview should be up later this week.

2 comments:

FormerPhD said...

3. I talk about how I consider the Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl favorites...and then proceed to mention how I think they can be beaten by another AFC team in the playoffs.

This isn't as illogical or horrible as you seem to think it is. "Favorite" just means they're the most likely to win (in your opinion), just because you think they're the favorite doesn't mean you think they can't be beaten.

For example, this year's World Series favorite, the Yankees, could conceivably lose to Minnesota or Tampa Bay. If not, then the Braves and/or Phillies also stand a puncher's chance.

Look at the SB favorites the past couple of years:

2007 season- Patriots. Lost in the SB.
2008 season- Titans/Giants/Colts. Didn't make it to the SB.
2009 - Colts. Lost in the SB.

I know you think you had a PK moment, but PK would have said something like:

"I think the Baltimore Ravens are the Super Bowl favorites, but I'm also deeply worried that their defense isn't as good as it needs to be and their offense isn't that good. I'm worried that the team won't make the playoffs. Also Willie told me that Harbaugh doesn't like Peets or microbrews, so there's absolutely no way this team can win."

Bengoodfella said...

That is a good point, but I felt like I was pretty positive about the Ravens and then just mentioned how I thought their secondary sucked. You make a good point though, because the favorite isn't always a team that can't be beaten.

I do think the Ravens are my favorite in the AFC right now, but that secondary scares the shit out of me.

I am glad I didn't do what PK would do and make a positive statement and then immediately talk about how worried about the team I am.

I would not be able to live with myself if I had a PK moment...well I could live with myself, but not happily.