Tuesday, April 8, 2008

0 comments I Want a Sticker!

Roy Williams wore a Kansas sticker 10 rows behind the Kansas bench at last night's National Championship game, 48 hours after his current team the UNC Tar Heels lost to that same Kansas team. I spoke with the 10,000 UNC fans I know and they all feel pretty much feel this way:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/04/08/roy-williams-finally-sees-kansas-win-a-title-wearing-a-jayha/

If you are illiterate or don't want to read it, basically it says, "don't worry about it, no big deal." Remarkably, that is the same reaction I get from most UNC fans along with, "We beat ourselves, we could not rebound or get any shots inside, Kansas did not beat us," and "Next year, we have blah blah blah..."

First off, if you speak with a Tar Heel fan, they have never lost a ball game to another team, they always just beat themselves. It is a case of denial, I think. I am astounded at this reaction from this blogger though. How the hell can a fan not be angry when Roy is behind the bench with a Kansas Jayhawk sticker on? How would they feel if Tyler Hansbrough had a UCLA hat on? Not too good. Tar Heel fans are blindly loyal, and I don't mean that in a good way necessarily, but I am sure they would be angry with Psycho T.

Frankly, it doesn't bother me that much. I just looked as if someone threw the sticker on his shirt. It wasn't as if he came in decked out with KU gear and shaking pom-poms for them. And, really, without a dog in the fight ... why shouldn't he root for the school he coached for all that time? Why wouldn't he want to see the team eliminate his Heels win the whole thing?

How the hell can you tell someone threw it on his shirt? Why the hell did he not take it off then? I hate it when people just start throwing shit on me, like that time Billy Porter threw a snake on my back during gym class. I was almost eaten by that snake, but really, he just put it on me and there was nothing I could do. The whole point is that Roy really did have a dog in the fight, his second favorite team in the whole wide universe, the Kansas Jayhawks. That is what should make you nervous or wonder if he is really dedicated to his team. One reason he would not want to see Kansas win the whole thing is because, maybe, just maybe, he should be sulking for the shitty coaching job he did and watching Kansas play would only give him a headache thinking if he had done things differently his team could have been out there playing for the National Championship. Not to go Simmons on you, but it is like watching the girl you broke up with win homecoming queen. You can't really be happy to see it, you have to have some regret.

Really, that is point though, Tar Heel fans are not bothered,

It also seems more like an olive branch being extended to Jayhawk Nation to stop booing him.

Tar Heel fans should wonder why the hell he cares if they boo him. If it were my favorite team, I would be wondering if Roy really cares as much as I do about the Tar Heels. Roy is a nice guy and will survive this but how can he really look at his players in the eye and say he cares 100%? How would Tar Heel Nation (cringe at that fucking name) react if the players started showing up at their second favorite college team's games?

This is how I would feel if I were a Tar Heel fan,

http://pocketpresence.blogspot.com/2008/04/quick-word-about-roy-williams.html

Again for those who don't like to read, it is bashing Roy Williams. Probably a bit too much but I think personally this is the appropriate reaction. I don't like it when my favorite college basketball team's coach coaches a certain National USA team or does commercials. Sports are not life and death but to see your coach reveling in the victory of a team that beat you should feel like a stab in the back in some ways. I wonder why it does not to Tar Heel fans.

0 comments: