Sunday, February 1, 2009

2 comments Super Bowl Sunday!

It doesn't look very likely I am going to have a chance to get the Simmons Chat up today, so I know all 4 of you that have visited all weekend are very disappointed. It's not that I am lazy, it's just that mom has some work I need to do here in the attic and it involves me having to go outside for supplies from a hardware store. After being introduced to sunlight it takes me a couple hours before my eyes can adjust properly to the dark lit attic. I am going to put the Simmons chat up later this week because there are some things I think I really need to discuss that he wrote about (I like how I act as if he is talking about important State of the Union matters or something). Couple of thoughts/predictions first:

1. I always try to predict the songs the halftime performer will play. It will be these songs in this order:

Radio Nowhere
Working On A Dream
Born to Run

Though I know he will throw a medley in there and just confuse the hell out of me.

If he does, then it will be:

Radio Nowhere
Working on a Dream/Badlands/The Rising
Born to Run

2. I am not sure I am ever ranking the best players at their NFL position again. Not that I don't enjoy it but it is very hard to do and I always end up regretting my choices. I left off Chad Johnson and Braylon Edwards from my list and I am surprised no one questioned me on that. I feel good about the list I made of wide receivers but if I did it again today I would probably rank them slightly different.

3. I am not watching one minute of Super Bowl pregame show today. I always enjoy the game so much more when it is not hyped up for me.

4. My Super Bowl prediction: Arizona is going to try and start fast (not a bold prediction, I realize this) because I think they are going to want to jump on the Steelers as quickly as possible and force Roethlisberger to match Kurt Warner, which isn't happening. I have heard all week how Dick LeBeau is going to keep Troy Polamalu back at the beginning of the game and maybe not send 5 people on a blitz. I am not sure I believe that. I actually can see the Steelers being more aggressive with Warner and try to knock him around a few times early in the game. I do think Polamalu will play centerfielder more times than not though. I can see the Cardinals trying everything in their power to get Fitzgerald behind a safety but I don't see it happening (even though I said in my NFL preview I can see a receiver behind a Steeler member of the secondary at some point this year, it has only happened twice or so). The Cardinals are not the Rams but the same blue print could work to beat them as the Patriots used against the Rams in 2001. I think the Steelers will let the Cardinals run the ball if they want, they just don't want to give up the big play. The Cardinals don't want to run the ball to win the game, I think they want to throw and the Steelers will try to not let them do that.

On defense Arizona will probably try to keep Roethlisberger in the pocket as much as possible, so it would not shock me if they brought guys more from the outside so he has to step up in the pocket and can't run around the outside where he was successful against the Ravens. The Steelers don't have a fantastic offensive line or running game, so the battle between the O Line for the Steelers and the front 7 for the Cardinals should be good. The Cardinals have a good defense, but it was also a defense that allowed the Eagles back in the game. I don't think the Steelers can throw on them like the Eagles did though. There will be a Steeler trick play and I think it would be interesting if it came with Dennis Dixon (ex-college QB) on the field. That's just a random thought.

Bottom line is I don't think the Steelers care if it is a close game in the 3rd quarter and I don't think the Cardinals want a close game in the third quarter. I believe the Steelers think if they can shut down the Cards offense in the first half and not give up a big play, hit Warner a few times, and go into the second half tied with the Cardinals, they will win the game. The thing the Cardinals have to look out for is to be too impatient, while the Steelers offense can't be too patient. I think the Cardinals have to be willing to run the ball but Warner can not throw the ball into coverage if Fitzgerald is not open, while the Steelers need to run the ball and test the Cardinals defense deep once or twice in the first half. There are other Cardinal receivers that are not named Larry Fitzgerald, so it is not like shutting him down will automatically the beat the Cardinals. I do see the Steelers trying to get pressure, keep Polamalu back to play centerfield, and stopping the Cardinals offense just enough to win the game in the second half.

28-17 Pittsburgh Steelers.

Feel free to opine if you would like, you can even use the same type of bad analysis I just used, and whoever is closest to the correct score gets a month old box of Hot 'N Spicy Cheez-Its in the mail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BGF...Pretty good analysis so far as I write this at the halftime while finishing up the jambalaya. Sick play by Harrison to end the half and I think that was a dagger for AZ. We'll see. Obviously, I am in my kitchen since I refuse to listen to that big-name-halftime-act.

Cheers.

Bengoodfella said...

The first half went similar to what I expected it to, I got lucky on that. The play by Harrison was the difference in the game in my opinion, even though it only took place in the first half. The Cardinals were going to take a lead and get the ball in the second half. I was less upset about the interception and more concerned the Cardinals could not tackle him. That was ridiculous.

Steelers deserved that game, and as always, got a few breaks along the way.